Government of New Brunswick

How do I break my lease?

You are committed to the terms of your lease.  But, if you want to end your tenancy, Click here for instructions. You can also discuss your situation with the landlord and you may both agree to end the tenancy early.


What is the quickest way to get my security deposit back?

You and your landlord can jointly complete the security deposit refund agreement form.  Once our office receives the request, it is processed the next business day and will be sent by mail.


What do I do if my landlord didn’t deposit my security deposit to Service New Brunswick?

Click here for the step-by-step instructions on how to proceed. If it’s unclear, call our office at 1-888-762-8600 and we will help you. There is also a very helpful video that explains all details about security deposits:


Is my landlord allowed to turn off my power, heat or water if it is included in my rent?

No.  Click here for the steps you can take.  We can assist you. 1-888-762-8600.


I received a notice to vacate, what should I do?

You must pay your rent. If you want to stay in your apartment, call your landlord and discuss if you can agree on a payment plan to get caught up on your rent owing.


My neighbor is very noisy, what can I do?

Advise your landlord.  And/or contact your local authorities.


If my landlord doesn’t do the repairs I have requested, do I still have to pay my rent?

Yes. You cannot withhold rent to have repairs completed. If you need repairs to your unit, make a request to your landlord, if they fail to deliver, contact us. Click here for more details.


What if I change my mind and don’t want to rent the apartment I signed up for?

If you have paid for the security deposit for the apartment or signed a lease agreement, you are committed to the rental and must provide proper notice to end the tenancy. We suggest you call the landlord ASAP to discuss the situation as they may be able to re-rent to another potential tenant.  Click here for the steps to properly terminate the tenancy.



Email or  Telephone 1-888-762-8600 (it is a free call)