Government of New Brunswick

In many cases, disputes between landlords and tenants can be resolved simply by knowing your rights and obligations, then working it out together. A proper residential lease will have most of the information you need on how to resolve common disputes.

If you can’t resolve the issue through discussion, you can take a more formal approach by putting your complaint in writing and serving it to your Landlord or Tenant.

For non-urgent matters, you must provide a minimum of seven days for the recipient to resolve the issue(s. If the landlord is addressing a conduct matter with a tenant, the tenant must comply immediately. 

**Keep a copy of the completed letter for your file

Some disputes are more complex, and solutions are not possible even after serving proper notice. In this case, you can apply for assistance from the Residential Tenancies Tribunal.

You will receive confirmation within one business day of your application being received and your file will be assigned a case number. Like an emergency room, all cases are prioritized, with the most urgent cases being handled first.

Once your case has been processed and is ready to be reviewed, a Residential Tenancies Officer will be assigned to investigate the dispute and attempt to mediate the issues. The goal of this step is to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible without having the Residential Tenancies Officer decide for you.

If the landlord and tenant are not able to reach a solution together with mediation, the Residential Tenancies Officer will make a final decision. This will include any orders or actions required to be taken, either by the landlord or tenant.

If you don’t know your rights and obligations, can’t find the right form, or simply need help getting started, please:

  • Email
  • Call 1-888-762-8600; or
  • Visit your nearest service centre ( to speak with one of our customer service representatives.