Government of New Brunswick

To change or end a long-term tenancy, the landlord must give the tenant three months’ written Notice of Alteration or a written Notice of Termination.

The landlord can only end a lease for one of the following reasons: if the landlord or their immediate family want to live in the rental

  •  if the rental will be used for something other than residential premises
  • if the rental will be renovated significantly (proof may be required)
  • if the tenant is working for the landlord maintaining or managing the rental, and the job ends

You have 15 days to apply to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal to dispute a Notice of Alteration or a Notice of Termination after receiving the Notice.

A long-term tenant can end a lease at any time by giving the landlord one month’s written notice.

Rent Increase – What you need to know:
  • The landlord must serve a 3-month notice
  • The landlord must also be increasing the rent for each comparable unit in the same building by the same percentage or
  • The increased rent is reasonable in relation to that charged for comparable units in the same geographical area.
  • You have 15 calendar days from the date you receive the Notice of Rent Increase to apply to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal to have the notice reviewed.
  • If you do not wish to pay the increased rent, you can terminate the lease. A Notice of Rent Increase can be treated as a Notice of Termination.  If you chose to end your lease, you must give the  landlord one month written notice before the day the rent is due to increase.

Email or  Telephone 1-888-762-8600 (it is a free call)